Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Wow. Here are some examples of a high school 2D lesson in Cubism. We just wrapped up a still life unit with cutting up our still life's and "jux-ta-posing" them in cubist style. This project in particular was a great one to reflect on how well I taught to their level, I learned a great deal, and so did the students (mainly about patients!) Some of the students were more than willing to cut up their still life's (that took about one week each, two different drawings) and some really had a hard time, maybe next time I will explain the entire process from the get-go. overall, fun project!
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
The 8th grade students studied "masks from around the world!" and created a mask of their own based off of a theme of choice. I was impressed with the outcomes of the masks, as we were working in theme in class the students seemed to have "creative blocks." Big bummer, but the next class period it seemed to have been overcome because they were able to create some interesting concepts and solutions.
I have been quite busy over the past nearly 2 months, and haven't been able to keep up with updates from my student teaching experience. I have moved onto my Middle School/High School placement in another rural farming community in Wisconsin. It's been great... here are a few updates!
The Fourth Grader's focused their portion of the quilt project on "Environmental Awareness." In order to do this we went on a nature hike and collected elements of nature (trees, leaves, flowers, bark) Next, the students did a sketch, then an engraving on Styrofoam relief plates (amazing!) At this point we could being printed on paper (a proof) and then finally on muslin fabric. The students did a great job, however we had some trouble with the sizing of the fabric and resisting of the ink.. with practice I think I can improve it.
The Second Graders created non-objective prints on fabric squares, sharing printing techniques with one another. The student's practiced self control, respect, and recognizing strengths in one another. The students added final details with embroidery floss stitches. This was the first time I was working with students and metal needles, needless to say, I was a bit nervous- but all went well.