Sunday, November 7, 2010

5th Grade Portraits

The 5th graders of Glenwood Elementary school have been studying portraiture for the first quarter of the year. I felt apprehensive about instructing portraiture, but as we went through the unit I learned quite a bit myself (one of the great aspects of student teaching.)  They did a great job creating realistic portraits focusing on proportion, and simply learning to draw what your eyes see. To reward the students for their great work , I thought we would do a abstract portrait, to lighten the mood, and apply what they have learned in a different way! I took a picture of each of the students using the Photo booth program on my laptop. The students then highlighted shadows, using mixed media to create a self-portrait. The enjoyed seeing themselves in a whole new way!

No comments: